Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Small act, Big impact


Sometimes what we see as major, impressive or important is not as significant as we think. It is the little things that we so often ignore or consider unimportant that would leave a lasting impression on people. A genuine smile, a sincere compliment, a hug, good listening, forgiving and praying for those who do us wrong, etc., are some of the little things we can do on a daily basis to make a difference. What we may consider little and insignificant can impact others in a major way!

Hebrews 13:2 "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

If we are Jesus' representatives in this world, we should set good examples wherever we go and in whatever we do.

Isn't it amazing how our children try to do and say things to impress and please us? Or as grown ups, how we try to do our best at work to impress our boss in order to be liked, get a promotion or a raise? So why do we think differently when it comes to our Father in heaven? We need to be busy and productive for His Kingdom so we can receive His abundant blessings so we can bless others.

Going to mission trips, giving money to charities, helping the homeless, tithing are all good and pleasing to the Lord, but we need to have a Christ like mentality, wherever we go. Whether we are at work, home, on the road, or at the store; we need to practice love, patience and compassion with everyone! Sometimes, it is easier said than done, but we must do it regardless of how we feel in order to please the Lord. The Bible commands us to sow seeds wherever we go. When we stay obedient and sow seeds (action), then God will do His part to help us reap the blessings (impact).

Proverbs 25:15 "Through patience a ruler can be persuaded and a gentle tongue can break a bone."

I would like to share a short story with you. A couple of years ago when I got hired at the place that I'm working now, there was an employee who was rude and mean to me. I didn't know why she was that way. I had not done or said anything bad to her. Each time I heard a hurtful comment or sarcastic gesture, I mumbled a prayer under my breath "God forgive her and help me understand why she is this way and most of all, please help me keep my mouth shut so I won't say anything I'll regret later".

After several months of working there, I got to know her a little better and one day she opened up to me. She said that she had a tough childhood. She grew up without a dad and her mother was not a nurturing person. Very often, her mother would spank her for no reason she said. After listening to her story, I knew now where her bitterness and hate was coming from.

Then I shared a little bit about my childhood. I told her that my dad had passed away when I was only two. After he passed away, my mom abandoned me and my two brothers. Luckily my aunt (my dad's sister) adopted the three of us even though she had 7 children of her own. Two were married and living on their own, but the other 5 still lived at home. I continued telling her that I could have easily dwelt on my past and become a very bitter person blaming God for taking away my parents and for not having them around to love me, to read books to me and to tuck me in every night, and so on and on...

As children we don't understand why certain things happen to us, however, as we get older, we need to understand things from God's perspective. God did what was best for me and my two brothers. While God sees the whole picture, we cannot. He is God and we are not! My aunt had a big heart and was a God fearing woman. She read her Bible twice a day; in the morning and before she went to bed. She took us to church every Sunday. She instilled in us the love of God from day one and taught us how to be grateful for the little things we had. She told us not to dwell on the past. If God didn't use my aunt to come to our rescue, who knows where we would be today.

Everyone has a story to tell ; some good and some not so good. However, it's how we deal with our circumstances that paves the road. We can direct our path toward a positive and productive lifestyle and reap God's blessings or we can take the destructive path and be miserable forever. Either way, it's our choice and we cannot continue to live blaming others! If we trust God and lean on Him, He will guide and help us make the right decisions. He can wipe our past and give us a new beginning. Always remember that God's ways are higher and better than ours and His timing is always perfect!

After that day, I started giving my co-worker some inspirational notes, CD's and books on forgiveness, patience, and how to become intimate with the Lord. Several months later, she quit her job and I didn't hear from her for awhile. Then one day, I received a phone call from her. She said that she had a new job and she really liked it, also she didn't have to work on weekends and she was now able to attend church on Sundays.

Then she continued: "you taught me how to forgive and how to be patient and most of all how to keep my mouth shut. Although it's hard at times, it sure feels good to be able to do it. But most of all, I feel this 'joy' inside that I've never felt before."
When I heard that, I told her that the joy she felt was 'Jesus'. The Bible states that the peace and joy that comes from Jesus is above and beyond human understanding.
I was a bit teary when I heard her testimony and felt gratified. However, this was not about me or my emotions; all the glory and honor belongs to my God! I was merely a tool, just like my aunt, who God used for His purpose. When God sees a willing and obedient heart, He rejoices and instructs us to do our small part. We just need to be willing and ready for His use to see the big impact for His Kingdom!

Matthew 25:30-43 When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, He will sit on His throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on His right and the goats on His left. "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"Then the King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

"Then He will say to those on His left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

God Bless,
Lucine

No comments: